Sunday, February 20, 2011

Book Market, Lviv

While wandering around Lviv, we ran into a quirky little book market. Random tables, cardboard boxes, and suitcases displayed piles of old books in Russian and Ukrainian. Old records and small Soviet pins also found their way into the mix of merchandise. I picked up all the pretty covers and thumbed through the old pages, wishing I could read Ukrainian a little better. I am in love with the folksy illustrations in old Ukrainian children's books, partly because they remind me of my childhood but mostly because they're just darling. I was hoping to find some pretty ones to take home, but I had no luck since there weren't many children's books to begin with.

The book market is appropriately clustered around a statue of Ivan Fedorov, the father of Ukrainian and Russian printing.

- Julia