Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Haute Thoughts on Friendship

When it comes to friendship it should be a two-way street, but lately I’m finding most people don’t get it. Since I’ve taken on a more visible role as a journalist by starting a blog and entering into the fascinating world of social media, I seem to attract people who think that they can extract my contacts and resources without giving something back. I find these people to be opportunists and incapable of being a true friend. So when the truth reveals itself… I take notes. I have learned to love or like people from a distance and rid myself of anything that’s toxic. I wouldn’t say these people are bad, but they have misguided intentions and may not value and protect friendship the same way that I do. They see my network and start adding up the net worth to figure out how they can benefit from it with no return on investment. As a result, I chose not to spend my time with them. It’s not always easy to draw such hard lines but it’s necessary to maintain my sanity.

My tried and true friends tell me that I’m too trusting and extremely kind… I can’t help it—I’m a Pisces and we tend to wear our hearts on our sleeves. But we’re not pushovers! So when I start to notice your pattern, I course correct.

 
This is what you should know about me… I work smarter so I can play hard. I travel the world because it inspires me to be better than I am. I fiercely protect my friendships because they matter to me. I will never allow someone to use me and be ok with it. I create my own opportunities and help others when I can. I don’t focus on what you have because I’m too busy building my own empire.

It’s not easy to do what I do but it’s the price that I pay to follow my passion and encourage others to live their dreams. I wish everybody who has entered my life and had to go the best… I really do. I just can’t participate in your one-sided view of “friendship” because that doesn’t honor me. So live your life and know that you have taught me a lesson that is more valuable than you will ever know… and for that I’m grateful to have known you. But the expiration date on your friendship and loyalty has expired.

What's your view on friendship?