Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ukrainian Pancakes at Home

Hi folks. We've let our lives at home consume us and neglected the blog, but enjoyed every bit of it-- spending much-needed quality time with family/friends, lots of dinner dates, finally visiting our home church, cramming in lots of engagement photo shoots for all our summer weddings. A whole week without posts! We're going to play catch up this week. You can expect to see the last couple posts from our time in Lviv, Ukraine, lots of food photos, and moving onto our next stop in Ukraine-- Novovolynsk, Yuriy's birth place.

This week I made some delicious оладки (Ukrainian pancakes) at home to remember our recent time in Ukraine. We ate these several times while in Ukraine and loved them. My mom used to make these when we were kids and they were a hit with the entire family. I've always eaten them with jam and sour cream, but in Ukraine, we ordered оладки at cafe with "honey butter" and it was divine. 

I used this recipe by my brilliant friend/cook, Natasha. I tried to replicate the restaurant honey butter by mixing butter spread and creamed honey (after warming in the microwave for a few seconds). It turned out beautifully. 

I know I've said it once, but I'll say it again.. it is SO good to have a kitchen at last!

- Julia

Yes, that's my Ukrainian cup!